Please answer the following questions:
You might find it helpful to make a note of your answers on a piece of paper.
1. Is drinking making your home life unhappy?
2. Does your drinking make you careless of your family's welfare?
3. Do you drink because you are shy with other people?
4. Is drinking affecting your reputation?
5. Do you drink to escape from worries or trouble?
6. Do you drink alone?
7. Have you lost time from work due to drinking?
8. Has your ambition decreased since drinking?
9. Has your efficiency decreased since drinking?
10. Is drinking jeopardising your job or business?
11. Have you ever felt remorse after drinking?
12. Are you in financial difficulties as a result of drinking?
13. Do you turn to or seek an inferior environment when drinking?
14. Do you crave drink at a definite time daily?
15. Does drinking cause you to have difficulty in sleeping?
16. Do you want a drink the next morning?
17. Do you drink to build up your self-confidence?
18. Have you ever had a complete loss of memory as a result of drinking?
19. Has your doctor ever treated you for drinking?
20. Have you ever been in hospital or prison because of drinking?
What's your score?
If you have answered YES to any one of the questions, there is a definite warning that you may be an alcoholic.
If you have answered YES to any two, the chances are that you are an alcoholic.
If you have answered YES to three or more, you are almost certainly an alcoholic.
Why do we say this? Only because the experience of hundreds of thousands of recovering alcoholics has taught us some basic truths about our symptoms - and about ourselves.